Wednesday 16 October 2013

Myrtle Beach, South Carolina

I'm so sorry for my lack of updates!

Been busy over the weekends lately, either due to road trip or mid-terms/assignments. But HURRAY!!! My mid-terms are over!!!! And fall break starts tomorrow at 11.50am. Hehehehe. I'm really hoping for my econ tutor to cancel tomorrow's class so we can get another day of hols! :D

2 weekends ago, we made a road trip to Myrtle Beach in South Carolina. It is about 4-hour drive away from Chapel Hill! So the early birds - us met up at 4am to drive there. If I'm not wrong, it is the #3 US Best Beach! Let me use photos as proof of how beautiful the place is:







I didn't realise my humble 4-year-old Canon compact camera can take such chio photos. Hahaha.



On the first day, we hung around the beach for the whole morning. Besides soaking ourselves in the salty seawater, we also had a "non-competitive" frisbee game. There were 10 of us in total so we split in 2 teams - 5 vs 5. It's been awhile since I played in (non)competitive sports. The initially stop mark was when the 1st team reaches 5 points but....................we gave up at 4-2 because we were all panting and trying so hard to catch up w our breath already. LOL.

After chilling and playing some camp-games at the beach (I finally convinced them to play the deh-deh game with me!!!!), we walked for about 20 mins (while starving SO bad) to our lunch place!

 I ordered turkey burger with lots of veg + EXTRA PICKLES!

 


 Buffalo Chicken Tenders

Cheese friessss! But it isn't that fantastic actually.


After lunch, we strolled back to the beach and I was SO sleepy and exhausted that I momentarily dozed off on the beach chair. Hahahaha. I felt too nua to do anything at all. And after that, we decide to drive to the northern part of the beach to see if the water sports activities are still available!

One thing weird about Myrtle Beach is that when the address says North Ave, it is actually towards the southern part of the beach. South Ave is actually at the nothern part of the beach. It took us 20 mins of confusion in the car to realise what was going on because we were so lost for directions. ._.

Anyway, it was too late by the time we reached South Ave because there were no more water activities. I think it is largely attributable to the fact that we're all too shag after meeting at 4am and a non-competitive frisbee game which resulted in us being too lazy to move our asses. So.........no one to blame!

Despite the fiasco, we still hung around and take some pictures because we realised that the northern part of the beach is actually prettier!!


 10 of us!

 The retarded version.


Sam & I. I must say we have v good chemistry when we play sports together! 

Suzu & I! Suzu is from Japan! Another exchange kid in UNC!

 The remains of a jellyfish....

She sells seashells on the seashore. 

Pretty sandcastle! I've never built one in my entire life. Hmm...






As the sun sets, we made our way to the hotel to wash up and freshen ourselves up before dinner! The hotel room was really spacious and clean given the price we paid. Exceeded our expectations! But no pictures of it. Ooops. Soooo, following the recommendation of someone in the hotel, we went to Sea Captains House restaurant to have a seafood dinner!


Seafood platter: Tilapia, prawns & scallops! 

Salad w prawns 

Creamy Shrimp Linguine 

I think this was fish cakes??

The food was not bad but give the price........I think we would've expected more. But still, we satisfied our craving for seafood!! :)





The next morning, we got up at 6am (I think) to catch the sunrise!!



It was quite cloudy so I didn't take very good photos.

Trying to be artsy but my handwriting sucks x.x



After a VERY filling buffet breakfast (which was about 9 USD and they had scrambled eggs, pancakes, bacon, sausage, potatoes, juices, other beverages, toasts, bagels and more!!!), we visited some attractions in Myrtle Beach. I emphasized on how filling the breakfast was because we ate at around 10am and the next meal we had was dinner at about 7ish pm without feeling starved!! Worth it!

Kenrick (from NUS), Katie (from HK) and I! 

 Checked out Ripley's Mirror Maze and........people please don't ever go there. It really is a ripoff. LOL. We finished the 'maze' after 20 minutes, and that's after elements of self-entertainment....


And then we went for minigolf! Which was something popular in the south!


Tickets to a (really) mini amusement park!




It's like the worst carousel ever. The machine is so old that it keeps giving out a creaky sound with no music at all.............but the reason why we took this ride was because:

 I guess this warrants it. Lol.

We went to the Broadway At The Beach and saw this interesting 'house' that's upside down! 



I think it's like a museum/exhibition inside which we didn't check out but it seems interesting!


And our way back to Chapel Hill, we stopped by the highway exit and had dinner. We were so determined not to eat fast food (which is really challenging because all that's available along the highways are fast food restaurants) so here we go:



Prawns and Tilapia with mozzarella!

Happy people (with me looking cui with oily face and feeling sticky all over.....)





And that was it for the weekend!!
Last Saturday, we went to Tanger Outlets at Mebane, which is about a 30-min drive away to do some shopping! It wasn't as fruitful as it was until I bought a leopard-print strap watch from DKNY for only 58USD!!!!! At the end of the day, I bought quite a bit of big ticket stuff so I still did spent quite a bit......so I'll try and be frugal the next couple of weeks!

Evidently, I didn't buy THAT much stuff... I've been looking for MAC cosmetics since I arrived and finally I found them!!!!! I bought compact and liquid foundation at 19 USD each and blushers at 15USD each. :D It was my 2nd best buy of the day!

Yup so that's about it. I'll try and write another blog post tomorrow before setting off to Florida for the Fall Break!


No comments:

Post a Comment