Monday 1 February 2016

Milestone - Driver's License

So as some of you already know, I have proudly announced my passing of Traffic Police test on my first attempt!!!! I am really MAD HAPPY. Honestly, I felt happier than getting semester GPA 4.0 or a semester with (almost) straight As.

It is probably not a big deal for most people to get a driver's license. People probably rolled their eyes at my 'over-reaction' like - "Wahlao pass driving only what! What's the big deal??" BUT IT IS A BIG DEAL FOR ME (apparently so, given the fact that I'm actually blogging about it lol)! Here's a post on why.

I have never ever imagined myself to take the driver's seat. Never. Before I signed up for driving lessons, I can never imagine myself DRIVING a vehicle. Even the slightest thought of it puts me off and makes me afraid. Afterall, car accidents cause more deaths than plane crashes.



Why did I wait so long to my license? (Ok not THAT long but relatively so since most of my friends got theirs as soon as they turned 18)

1. It's expensive.
This has put me off for a long time. It's not like I would have the money to afford a car. But getting a license itself is costly. When I turned 18, I wasn't ready to splurge my life savings on getting a license. And for most part of my Poly life, I wasn't getting allowance since I could live off my pay from my then weekend job. Saving is obviously difficult. And it was even more so after I entered university because I am (still) living off my parents and on a Tuition Fee Loan. To take out $2,000 - $3,000 was a huge deal.


2. My family never owned a car (nor can we afford one).
If there's no car to drive, why bother getting a license? Even if I get it, I'll probably not be able to drive and eventually forget most of the things I've learned.

And as a follow-up reason from that, I think if you grew up in a family with a car, road sensing is probably quite intuitive. Even if it's not, it is certainly still easier for you to pick up driving just because you've been sitting in one for most of your life.

And that's obviously not the case for me. Public transport has been my life. The only time I got closer to being able to ride in a car was when my brother-in-law gotten his. Given my close relationship with my sister, we hang out a lot and that's when I get to take cars more often. But even so, it was an off-peak car then. So it wasn't all that frequently.

3. My sense of direction is non-existent.
Most of my friends will know, how idiotic I can be when it comes to recognising roads and navigating around. I can even get lost in malls (I know it's ridiculous) and there's absolutely nothing I can do about it. It's not something you can practise. If you're bad at it, you are bad at it. The only way to be 'better' is to be familiar with the place that you're going to. And that doesn't make you 'better' per se, you just know the few places you go to.

So in a hypothetical world that I get a license and a car to drive, I'll probably rely on Google Maps so much and be lost most of the time.

4. I crash every single vehicle - in the virtual world.
Daytona, Crazy Taxi, GTA, any other sort of racing - I crash them all. It's either I go in the opposite direction or I just keep crashing into the wall until the game is over. Welllllll they are just games, I know, I know. (As a sad fact of life, I suck in video games, too.) But when I see how other people can control the vehicle so well, I'm even more convinced that I do not have the talent nor potential to control a vehicle. I always thought of myself as a potential road hazard.


So, for close to 24 years of my life of not being a driver, I wasn't grudge-y about it. Yeah I felt like it was pity because I couldn't share the driver's burden on a road trip while I was on exchange but there was just no reason compelling enough to make me want to get a driving license.




So what was the enabling event?










Honestly, I do not quite know. I guess Kw played a large part in me getting my license. For reasons #1 and #2, Kw has also put off getting a driver's license until early last year (I think?). He finally got his in mid-2015 - and there I was still having zero intention to do it. I think I'm like the last one or two person in any of my cliques to get a license -_-

Ok zero intention was probably not true. When I see Kw go for his driving lesson, it just somehow got me thinking that maybe I should also go get mine. Quite fun right, can learn together?? And at that point, I have kind of saved up from randoms jobs and bursaries. So I kept talking about going down to Ubi CDC with him during one of his classes so I can sign up for my Basic Theory Test. After much procrastination, I finally went down with him on one of the Sundays that he was going for his driving lesson. And guess what, I DIDN'T CHECK THE OPENING HOURS OF THE OFFICE AND WENT DOWN TO FIND OUT THAT IT'S CLOSED! -_-

On hindsight I don't know why I did that. It was a SUNDAY EVENING and I didn't think about that. So my weak intention to sign up for BTT diminished. I was quite lazy too travel to CDC alone anyways so the thought of booking BTT did not re-surface. At that time, I was very half-hearted about learning driving. I always think about how I might fail BTT (because of how idiotic I can be when it comes to road-related stuff) or turn out as every driving instructor's nightmare (which of course, didn't turn out to be true).

So months later when Kw got his license, he suddenly came to me and be like, "When are you gonna get yours?!?!?"

It was probably a right time that he asked. I had the savings. It was summer break and the end of my internship. I had the intention of taking Leave of Absence from school. And if I'm not going to do it before I graduate, I won't get the time or chance when I graduate. Plus, it was also getting more and more expensive.

So after the end of my internship, I had about 2 weeks' break before starting on my contract job. I ran quite a few errands including renewing of passport and meeting up with friends for lunch etc. I also met Jean and went on a few food hunts which were all round the East side of Singapore. Since I was free and around the area, with a willing company (Jean) to go to the driving centre with me, I finally did it.

I got to the office, got my queue number and waited. At this moment, I was still undecided on whether I should take manual or auto; school or private. When it was my turn at the counter, the first question was whether I wanted to take school or private instructors. I decided on taking school (considering how I think of myself as possibly the worst student) to give myself a higher chance of passing. The customer service office immediately whipped a brochure and gave the fastest explanation on the fees and process of taking driving lessons with the school. In that moment, I was nothing but overwhelmed by the amount of $$$ she circled on the brochure. I also then decided on the spot that I want to learn manual; it is more practical since some countries don't entertain Class 3A license and I also wanted to take up that challenge.

I then went through the process of testing eyesight, taking a photo for school ID, paying registration fees (which was $155 wtf) and learned how to book tests and lessons. I didn't book my BTT on the spot because I was afraid that my work schedule will not be able to accommodate so I just topped up enough money and booked the test online afterwards.

I did the booking in mid August and took the test in late October and passed it! School candidates have all the reasons to pass it on first try because:

1. If you fail, you have to go through an Internal Evaluation (guess what? It's not free!!) before you can book for your next BTT. The evaluation costs $5.35, ok lah it's not expensive but still!! The hassle and all.....

2. And imagine this: the 2nd BTT will be another at least 2 months later. And school lessons are not as easy to book as private lessons. Private driving instructors probably have much more flexible schedule. For school learners, booking of lessons is usually done 2 months in advance. Otherwise, you just have to keep checking back to see if anyone cancelled their lessons. 2 months and 2 months and 2 months.... And I need to mention that the school membership has a validity of 1 year (i think) and you have to renew it if you take that long to finish learning.

Fortunately, I managed to pass both my theory tests on the first try. I strongly recommend you to book for the e-trial test. That's like my only surrogate for 10-year series ever since O Levels lol. It is extremely helpful; not just in terms of questions asked but also prepares you mentally so you know what to expect during the actual test.

On the same day I passed my FTT, I booked the number of recommended lessons (required by school) and finally booked for my TP Test which was 3 weeks (which was really fast, I was expecting to be able to take my TP only after Chinese New Year) from my FTT date. I had to clear another approximately 6 lessons so I booked them during the 2 weeks before my TP Test.

Even though I was so restless on the inside and constantly worrying about my TP test, I told no one my test date. Not even my family or Kw. I guess I was partly (only a little bit) influenced by my friends who have failed their TP the first time, there was a superstition that I shouldn't tell anyone when I'm taking my TP test or I'm likely to fail it. I am not a very superstitious person though. For most part, I just didn't want people asking me, 'So how's your TP??' and I have to reply that I failed - in the event that I don't pass. Quite sore right? Fail already still must announce. So I chose to keep hush.

On the eve of my TP, I practically lost sleep the whole night. I was so restless and nervous. I didn't even have appetite for breakfast. Don't think I'm even 50% this nervous for exams, honestly. The 3 weeks leading up to my TP was a really LONG wait. The anticipation that has been building up has been eating me up from the inside. And my confidence level was not that high because I still hit the kerb while doing circuit courses during my revision classes (which were days before my actual test).


Came the day of my TP. I reached almost 30 minutes early (I always have toilet issues before major exams) and went to the warm-up room to register myself. I then sat there alone, feeling nerve-wrecked and waited for my warm-up session to begin. I think my palms were sweating. I don't remember the last time I felt THIS nervous. When the instructor called out my name, I followed him to my assigned test vehicle and orientate myself with the vehicle. Everything went on quite smoothly during my warm-up except when I drove into the yellow box in the circuit -_- a mistake I have never made before. But it was a good thing that I made a mistake because I became even more alert. He took me out for a very brief drive outside the circuit before making our way back and directing me to the waiting room.

During the warm-up, I think my resting bitch face + tenseness written all over my face have prompted the instructor to repeatedly ask me to relax myself lol. He was really very nice and encouraging, which made me felt a tad better. I also bumped into one of my driving instructors who remembered that I was taking my TP and wished me luck. (He also came to ask me if I passed my test after I was done.)

So I sat in the waiting room, once again waiting and letting anticipation build up. Finally 11.45am came and 2 testers came into the room. And my name was the first to be called. I already had a very strong hunch that I'd be the first to be called - I have no idea why. And I am glad that I was called the soonest because I thought I was gonna explode in the room if I have to sit there any longer.

The first thing the TP said to me were words of encouragement, "Don't be nervous. Just drive normally." I immediately felt better once again. I have heard of nasty testers but I guess I'm really fortunate.

Once I started driving, all the anxiety eased. I was able to concentrate on driving and clearing the courses. I know that I didn't make any major mistake - until I had to turn right at a traffic junction. It was my turn to turn but a lorry from the opposite side of the road was also turning right and drove into my lane. It was not my mistake but I didn't check for oncoming vehicles and the lorry came quite close and honked at me. This was when I thought I was fucked. I got honked!!!! And I thought it was quite a dangerous situation. But the tester did immediately comment, 'Wahlao the lorry!" Which made me feel like it wasn't all lost yet.

After approximately 30 minutes, it was over. And there I was, waiting for an answer. I followed the tester back to the TP office and took a sit as instructed. I think his computer was down or something so he had to fill in the test form manually. I remain seated next to the other candidates whose testers are going through their mistakes with them. The guy on my right has gotten an immediate failure for not stopping at the stop line + another 26 demerit points. At this point, I wasn't as anxious as before. Probably because I thought I didn't do too bad. I just wasn't sure about what the lorry has caused me. Despite that, I was still able to keep my cool and wait for the results.

After what felt like forever, my tester came to sit down opposite me. But the first thing he said to me, wasn't that I passed. He said, "Your driving is quite good. All your courses were well done." I was still quite afraid that he was gonna say something like, "BUT your reaction to the lorry was bad." Instead, he went on to say that I passed but I should've looked out for the lorry. I WAS SO HAPPY AND RELIEVED!!! He went on to give me more advice before giving me my result slip and instructions on where to go for the safety video. I WAS EUPHORIC. The lorry incident has caused my 4 demerit points, making my total demerit points 8. (My other 4 points went to turning the steering wheel when the vehicle was stationary and failing to check mirror before moving off).

I really feel very proud of myself. Turns out I wasn't half as bad as I thought I will be. Honestly, I may not have been able to pass on first attempt had I chosen private over school. Out of like 10 people whom I know took under private instructors, 9 have a fair bit of complaints. And most of these people did not pass on first attempt. But on top of that, I must I say that I am really very fortunate to have gotten mostly good instructors who taught me quite well. I would say 95% of my instructors really cared about my learning. And 99% never lost their temper or patience even when I made mistakes. It's a pity I don't get to say a personal thank you to them.





While it's still fresh, I have some tips and points to note for people who are contemplating to get their license.

Tip 1. It will be a difficult decision choosing between private or school. It's difficult to find people who have been on both sides of the picture. You have to do some homework. Some people think that their private instructor suck but they still (for weird reasons) recommend them to their friends. Idk why people do that. I have friends who were recommended these instructors by their friends who turn out to be shitty. But having said that, there are good private instructors around. You have to do your own research and find out if he/she is really good or suitable for your style of learning. If you don't think that the instructor suits you, you should take action early like change an instructor or something. It's cumbersome and all but it's better than failing your TP once or twice before realising how unsuitable the instructor is.

Some pros and cons of taking up school lessons:

Pros:
1. You get e-trial tests and all the necessary theory books, all included in the package. Much much easier to pass.

2. Instructors are likely to be clearer and more accurate in telling you what kind of mistakes will get your penalised (personal opinion). Apparently many private students do not know that something they do is considered a mistake until they accumulate so many points and fail their TP.

3. There is no conflict of interest. (also personal opinion) Private instructors have the incentive to earn more from you through more lessons; which is made more likely only if you don't pass your TP.

4. You get more familiar with circuit courses and since you don't pay separately for using the circuit, you will not hesitate to keep brushing up on that. Circuit courses are more challenging since it requires a lot of skills.


Cons:
1. Expensive expensive expensive

2. Different instructors will teach differently and you can get conflicting views. On the point on how to release the clutch, I have had instructors alternating on teaching me the 'best' way to do it; and it was annoying.

3. Booking of lessons can be quite tedious. Time slots open for booking on the 15th of every month at 10pm; and I can log in at 11pm with practically no slots left. -_-


Tip 2. Take your FTT after you have taken lessons to drive outside the circuit. It makes it a whole lot easier.

Tip 3: Enjoy the process of learning. I really enjoyed most of my lessons learning new things. So just worry less and go have fun!!!

1 comment:

  1. I was nervous, but I did it! Passed my driving theory test with flying colors. Now, I can't wait to put that knowledge into practice behind the wheel.

    ReplyDelete